Freshman Admissions for Foreign and Filipino Applicants from Secondary Schools Abroad
A Filipino or foreign applicant who graduated from a high school abroad and has not enrolled in college may be admitted to the freshman class by automatic admission if s/he meets the following requirements:
(1) completion of the high school program in the country where s/he had secondary education (including the completion of a one- or two-year pre-university education in a country where such is a prerequisite for admission to a bachelor’s degree program);
(2) qualifying in a college-qualifying national or international foreign-administered examination such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), OR General Certificate of Education (GCE) Examination, OR the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Minimum requirement are as follows: SAT: minimum total score of 1270
(620 in Math and 650 in Evidence-Based Writing and Critical Reading)
GCE: 2 Ordinary (O) level passes and 3 Advanced (A) level passes
IB : International Baccalaureate Diploma
(3) in the case of an applicant whose native language or whose medium of instruction in the secondary
school is not English, a minimum score of 500 if paper-based, 173 if computer-based or 61 if IBTbased, in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)/5.5 in International English
Language Testing System (IELTS).
The deadline for submission of applications is at least six months prior to the start of the semester the applicant intends to join the University; 31 March for First Semester and 31 August for Second Semester. This is to give ample time for an admitted applicant to process and prepare the necessary documents for submission to UPLB as enrollment credentials (i.e. original and certified copies of academic records/certifications attested by the Philippine Consulate/Embassy in the country of origin) and to process applications for the student visa.
- Accomplished Undergraduate Application Form (Download PHS form)
- Official transcript of records from high school attended
- Official examination certificates (GCE/SAT)
- Official TOEFL/IELTS results
- Application fee : US$20.00 for non-Filipinos
Complete application requirements must be submitted via courier for direct delivery to:
UPLB Office of the University Registrar
G/F CAS Annex I Building
University of the Philippines Los Baños
4031 College, Los Baños, Laguna
Admission through the UP College Admission Test (UPCAT)
Filipino or foreign graduates from accredited high schools/home schools abroad may take the UP College Admission Test (UPCAT) if unable to satisfy the requirements for automatic admission. They must follow the same UPCAT application process with the required supporting documents as all other applicants, and pay the non-refundable application fee (US$50.00 for non-resident foreign applicants).
If the applicant takes the UPCAT but does not qualify, he/she can no longer be admitted under automatic admission. The student has the option to enter UP as a transferee after satisfying transfer requirements of UP.